Saturday, August 18, 2007

Jaywalkers, KnitPicks, Yarn Diet

I started the jaywalkers last night. I finished the toe up socks and then cast the jaywalkers.
I'm using KnitPicks Memories in Spring Prairie, which has been discontinued. I'm using Chiaogoo bamboo needles in US size 1 (2.25mm). They are the smallest diameter needles I've ever used. I was a little nervous about having bamboo needles so small. Only time will tell. They did feel a bit like using twigs at first. Amazing how much smaller they feel compared to the 2.5mm needles, although my 2.5mm are KnitPicks Options.

I have quite a bit of Memories in the stash. I have made two pairs of basic cuff down socks with it, as well as my Clapotis. I haven't worn either of the pairs yet so I'm not sure how well the yarn wears. I have heard that if your feet sweat that the yarn felts a bit. I guess I find out once I wear them. I still need to block them. KnitPicks tends to discontinue their sock yarn frequently. They just added a couple new lines though.

I'm coveting the merino/cashmere sock yarn from The Knittery in the Vineyard colorway. Stupid yarn diet. But I must be honest with myself, I should not buy more yarn right now. My storage is barely closing. I can't believe I went from the one little container to three large ones in less than a year. I really need to go through the stash and organize it a bit better though.

Part of the problem is that there are projects that I decided to wait on because it is summer. I didn't want to be making a wool sweater during the heat wave we had. Although I suppose I could finish up the bamboo sweater. I haven't touched it since July. Although I have kept it in my bag for each SNBWB meeting. Maybe one of these days I'll actually pick it up again.

No comments: